For the mini cake:
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened*
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar **
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ***
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup cake flour****
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup whole milk ****
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sprinkles *****
* can use unsalted butter, but then add 1/4 tsp salt, ** I like to use ultra fine baker’s sugar, but regular is fine, *** my baking secret is that I use Nielsen-Massey Pure Vanilla Bean paste in place of vanilla extract, ****all purpose is ok, but I used cake flour for a fluffier cake, ***** whole milk recommended, but I only had 2% and it worked fine, ****** i used cake mate rainbow sprinkles
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 to 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350F (I used the convection setting at 325F). Spray a mini 6″ cake pan (I used fat daddio brand) that has 2″ high sides with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper (trace it on a piece of parchment paper, cut it out, and fit it in).
- Beat together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and egg white and beat until well-mixed.
- Add the flour, baking powder (and salt, if you used unsalted butter). Beat for a few seconds to combine, and then add the milk. Beat until smooth, but do not over mix.
- Gently stir in the sprinkles
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with only moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Let the cake cool slightly before placing it on a plate–it should come out easily. Peel the parchment paper off.
- While cake is baking, beat together all of the frosting ingredients, except the sprinkles. When the cake has cooled, frost, add additional sprinkles.